HUBERTUS, Wis. -- The Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary Help of Christians at Holy Hill will commemorate the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Shrine with a Mass on Saturday, May 25, at 4:30 p.m.
Archbishop Jerome E. Listecki of Milwaukee will be the principal celebrant, with the Discalced Carmelite priests of Holy Hill concelebrating.
Archbishop Listecki will also re-dedicate the Shrine Chapel, recently repainted by Conrad Schmitt Studios (of New Berlin), as well as formally bless the newly installed bronze doors.
These doors, depicting St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, and the Virgin Mary, were designed by renowned figurative sculptor, Cody Joseph Swanson, casted by Vanguard Sculpture Services, Ltd (of Milwaukee,), and fabricated by Louis Hoffmann Co (of Menomonee Falls). This special Mass is open to the public.
Architecture tells story
The magnificent Roman-esque style basilica’s brilliant stained glass windows, carved columns and arches, colorful mosaics and statues of the saints convey the story of salvation and the mysteries of the Roman Catholic faith passed down through the generations.
Construction of this third and largest shrine church began in 1926, with dedication of the upper-church taking place July 19, 1931. In 2006, Pope Benedict XVI declared Holy Hill a Minor Basilica.
About Holy Hill
Holy Hill, 30 miles northwest of Milwaukee, stands 1340 feet above sea level and 250 feet above the surrounding countryside.
It has been a place of inspiration and worship for many years. In 1857 Roman Goetz and Mathias Werner erected a 15 foot white oak cross on its summit.
A log chapel followed in 1863. Since then buildings have been enlarged or replaced as needs arose. In 1906 the care of Holy Hill was entrusted to the Discalced Carmelite Friars.
Today, Holy Hill, one of the better-known Catholic shrines in the United States, attracts over 300,000 visitors annually.
For more information, visit www.holyhill.com